The Information and Communications Technology Department
The ICT department has the mandate to facilitate and support development of Rwanda’s ICT sector towards transforming into an ICT hub for the region. The main responsibilities of the ICT department are:
- Taking the Lead: As the government institution that fast tracks Rwanda’s development, RDB will spearhead Rwanda’s progress toward building a mature, knowledge-based economy. RDB/ICT proactively pursues the most urgent challenges hindering Rwanda’s ICT competitiveness and ensures that the highest-value opportunities are captured.
- Laying the Foundation for Economic Growth: RDB/ICT focuses on developing and deploying the critical ICT infrastructure in order to lay the foundation for sustained economic growth.
- Building a Hub of Information and Communication Technology: RDB/ICT will lead the efforts to establish Rwanda as a regional hub for information and communication technology (ICT) with a robust ICT industry, encompassing and facilitating e-commerce, e-services, applications development, and automation. ICT will be harnessed to generate wealth and be a key economic driver.
- Contribute to ICT Policy Formulation: RDB/ICT will spearhead Policy formulation, coordination and implementation for private sector development and economic growth. Its priority is policy advocacy and ensuring that the best policies and practices are put in place and adopted to facilitate private sector development.
- Catalyze the development of the ICT sector for economic growth
- Facilitate the deployment of ICTs to enable growth in other sectors
- Attract, convert and support implementation and expansion of local and foreign private investment in ICT sector.
- Proactively target investors for the ICT sector and disseminate investment opportunities to them
- Provide accurate and timely responses to investor and stakeholder requests
- Advocate policy changes to improve the investment climate for the ICT sector
- Identify and develop opportunities for private sector investment in the ICT sector
- Undertake project or product development to catalyze private sector involvement in this sector
- Identify and build a niche for the Rwandan ICT private sector, especially for the export markets using a cluster approach